The year has come to an end. And while on one hand, we’re loving the New Year, looking forward to newer experiences, there’s also a certain longing to relive the events of the past year. Thankfully, Google has released the Top Trending Keywords of the year 2018.
A Royal Wedding, a heroic rescue op, the FIFA World Cup in Russia, and some shocking losses in the international world, let’s take a look at some of the things that defined the past year…
1. Topping the list of trending keywords in 2018, was the Royal Wedding. In a very fitting ceremony, Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, married his lady love Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, at St George’s Chapel in the Windsor Castle. The duo exchanged their vows in front of 600 guests as the whole world made their wedding the most searched event overall.
2. After Prince Harry’s happily ever after, came another happy ending. The successful rescue operation of 12 young football players (aged between 11 and 16 years), along with their coach, who was trapped in Thailand’s Tham Luang Caves. The group had set out to explore the caves after football practice and due to sudden heavy and continuous rainfall, the entrance to the cave got blocked trapping them inside.
3. Australians also searched for political personalities like Barnaby Joyce who undoubtedly made headlines after news broke about his affair and divorce, followed by his resignation as the leader of the Nationals. Scott Morrison and Peter Dutton were the other two Aussies trending on the search page.
4. In July 2018, Blood Moon was among the most searched topics on Google making to the list of trending topics. As a total lunar eclipse lasted for almost two hours, the Moon appeared a bright shade of blood red.
5. The FIFA World Cup 2018 was held in Russia and for more than five weeks football fans were glued to their seats watching one of the world’s most loved games. France beat Croatia and emerged as the World Champion for a second time!
6. Even though the past year was dotted with many happy events, we even had to bid adieu to some of the most cherished names in the international film and music industry. Among the deceased were electronic dance DJ Avicii, xxxtentacion and also much-loved hip hop artist and rapper Mac Miller, who was in a two-year relationship with singer Ariana Grande. Their relationship ended earlier this year. Miller’s friends and co hip hop stars J Cole and Snoop Dogg were among the ones who paid him a tribute on social media. Another loss that rocked the whole world was the demise of writer and co-creator of Marvel comics Stan Lee, the name behind incredible characters like Avengers, X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, and The Hulk. Lee died at a medical centre in Los Angeles aged 95.
In retrospect, even though the last year was full of mishaps and bad news like the California fires, volcanoes, hurricanes and shootings etc, it seems like the world was searching for happiness more than ever.